Thursday, October 9, 2014

I think I might run

I have a friend who runs. Her name is Jen, and she is very motivational. Jen: "I want to run half or full marathons in every state." Me: "That's neat. I'm more of a gym class girl myself." Jen: "You would be good at running once you got into." Me: "I'm not really built for the running. It hurts my boobs." Jen: "You just need the right gear. If you can do pure barre you could totally handle a 5k." Me: "OK, I will run, if you teach me." Then, Jennifer and I ran one time. I did not die, but I thought about it. Then, more friends joined in, and we began to look like some sort of rag-tag gang running down the mean streets of A-town. I started running some on my own and joined the gym by my office. The running is not quite as terrible as it was when Coach Matthews was yelling at 15 year old me that if I did not finish the suicide sprints in time I would have to do more until I could. "Hello! If I do more of these, I will not be doing them any faster!" The other day, Jen said, "Abby I am running a half marathon near Charleston in February. You should do it. We'd be able to stay for free." Immediate thought: "No Northcutt nor Adams has ever run 13 miles, let alone 13.1. That is ridiculous. I like Charleston. It's not hot in February. A free place to stay? Hmm..." Me: (a loud) "Maybe." Jen and Tyler: "You could totally do it, you underestimate yourself." Me: (in my mind) "I'm pretty sure I am accurately estimating myself and my desire to run that far. But, I do like Charleston." Me: (a loud) "What if I can run 8-10 of the 13.1 miles and walk the rest? Would I get kicked out?" Jen: "You can totally do the whole thing." Me: (in my mind) "That didn't really answer my question." Me: (a loud) "I will put it in my Nike app and follow the training plan it gives me. We will see how far I make it." Jen: "Great, you can do it." My running plan started Tuesday. It does not seem so bad right now, but we will see... I also have a question for Nike. Today my app says "Cross Training". Does making haystacks and chocolate pie count as "Cross Training"? Can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment