Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Northcutt's go to Skybar

My youngest brother recently turned 19.  Among my brothers and myself, Spencer is most definitely the "Man about town."  He is the type of person that attracts other people.  I was talking to him the day before his birthday and asked what he wanted to do to celebrate the big one niner.  He said, "Well, I am going to Skybar with Sarah [his girlfriend] and some friends."  Uh, huh.  So, The Skybar is a place of much interest.  It is "the" bar in Auburn that allows people under 21 in, only on Wednesday nights.  On any given weekend night, it is filled with my Greek sisters and brothers.  On Wednesday nights there is a similar yet slightly different crowd of upperclassmen creepers and underclassmen girls on the prowl.  Never-the-less, it is the place to be for 19 year olds on a Wednesday night.  Spencer went on to say, "Why don't you come with us, little girl?  Would you come?  Have you ever been there?  Would you really come, little girl?"  I do not understand the implication that I have never been to a prominent Auburn hot spot nor the accusation that I would not go to the location of his choice for my little brother's birthday.  He went on to request the presence of my mom and dad at The Skybar and was again skeptical of the fact that they would go.
Well, we went.  My parents and I got there before Spencer, because he was waiting for Sarah to get ready.  We all had on work clothes which were in strong contrast to the lovely skirts and tasteful eye shadow of the normal attendees.  While we waited for Spencer, my mom had a Jack 'n' Coke, and we scoped the crowd.  I spotted a couple of high school mates and one or two sorority sisters.  My mom sited a boy from her religion class that she had been wanting to talk to all semester.  She assumed by the way that he spoke that he was pretty bright but was amazed by the way his hair stuck straight up when he came to class.  She yelled, "Hey, yellow shirt, hey!"  She, in fact, did not know his name, but he recognized her and came to speak.  She asked him why his hair looked so nice and flat today.  He responded that there is more time to comb your hair in the afternoon than there is before 8 o'clock in the morning.
When Spencer arrived he was surprised and proud to find that we had actually come and proceeded to introduce us to all of his friends. Once we had met everyone and said our hellos I gave my mom a quick tour of The Skybar dance room in the back.  She was amazed at how large it was and noted that it would be a great place for a dance party.  I told her that it was in deed and that we should have one sometime.
This is the end of the story. I suppose Spencer had a good birthday.  He was happy to be the only boy to ever invite his parents to The Skybar for his birthday, and my parents were happy to go.
BTW We are still suspicious as to why Spencer did not have X's on his hands that evening...

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had been there!! Maybe Patty can have her grad party in the boom boom room!!!!

    ReplyDelete