Monday, July 18, 2011

Running Numbers

I am slightly more physically fit than I may appear.  Although it is true that I can not jump, I do occasionally enjoy a run and love to speed walk and do gym classes.  Gym classes are my favorite, because they keep my mind occupied on what I am doing for a whole hour.  I am focused on what the next move is and don't get distracted by what kind of studying I have to do or what I am going to eat for dinner.  Lately though, I have gotten more into running which typically is not my favorite past time, but I have come to enjoy it.  Sometimes, when I run I listen to music, but I don't really have any good work out mixes.  And, I don't really want to spend my spare time making one, even though it would take like five minutes, and I would really use it.  So instead I usually just count while I run.  Most of the time, I count my steps.  There is a very specific way that I count them.  I start with my right leg as the lead leg and count 1 step each time my right leg hits the ground.  I count these "steps" in groups of four.  Each time a take four steps I count that as one on my fingers.  After I have counted to ten and back on my fingers in these groups of four steps, I change and lead with my left leg and repeat the same count.  Once I finish that, I count each finger as two steps and go to ten and back on each leg. This continues on until I am exhausted of running.  I do other combinations of fingers and number groups depending on my mood, and occasionally, instead of counting steps, I count my breathes.  This sounds really crazy, but it keeps my mind focused on the task of running instead of thinking about too much stuff at once.  My mind usually has a couple of things going at once, so using part of it to count allows me to use the other part to think about one other thing instead of a bunch of stuff.  It's weird, but at least I'm exercising.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!!! You are one of the most fascinating people I know, Abby!

    ReplyDelete