Thursday, June 21, 2012

Caribou Ribs

Saturday evening my friend Stephanie had a cook out at her house.  We ended up cooking out and eating in because it was still cold (as previously discussed).  Everyone brought yummy food.  I brought Broccoli Salad:
            Broccoli
            Bacon
            Pecans
            Raisins
            Feta Cheese
            Coleslaw Dressing.
But the highlight of dinner was the Caribou Ribs.  Stephanie’s husband Raymond is a native of this area.  He is actually from a village called Kobuk near Kotzebue.  He has been a fishing guide and many other things.  Now he teaches Hunting and Trapping at the High School.  Wouldn’t that be a super cool class!  Anyway, this was one of his Caribou that he got last fall during the big Caribou season.


He cooked them in the oven wrapped in foil for a long time, then put them on the grill for a little bit.  They were Very Tasty.  They tasted similar to beef ribs and had a lot of meat on them and not much fat.  Yum.
As a side note, I took the left over ground beef that I took to the cookout for hamburgers and made some really delicious wraps for my lunch.
First I soaked some dry black beans I brought with me while I was at work all day.  Then boiled them until they were good and soft.  Then I put them in a mixing bowl and went to work mushing them up.  I added the uncooked ground beef to the mushed black beans and added some mustard, Italian dressing, salt, and pepper.  I mixed it all up really well then formed them into a log kind of kebab shape that was just a little shorter than the diameter of my tortillas.  I baked them for about 30 minutes at 375 then put them in a tuberware in the fridge so I could pack them for lunch.
I just rolled one in a whole wheat flour tortilla.  If I were at home and fresh veggies didn’t cost an arm and a leg, I would probably add some avocado, tomato, sprouts, cucumber, or lettuce.  I did put some mustard on the tortilla, but some taziki sauce would have been even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment