Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Yearning for Yarn

I have joined an unofficial sort of club that meets at the library every Saturday afternoon.  They call themselves Yearning for Yarn.  In essence, it is a knitting circle, but they do so much more.  During my incredibly interested and not the least bit sleep provoking orientation, the lady leading it mentioned that she was in a knitting circle.  “What, knitting!  I’ve always wanted to learn to knit.  I can crochet, but I would love to be able to knit.”  I believe she was shocked by my enthusiasm for her hobby.  I am sure when she told me when and where they meet she was thinking, “This girl is never actually going to show up.”  Never invite people that you don’t want to see, because if they are invited, they can come.  And come I did. 
They meet in a lounge area in the Kotzebue Library / University of Alaska-Fairbanks Chukchi College. 

They mostly knit, but each one of them has their crafting strength.  Christina, Jane, Kristin, and another lady really just knit.  Some of them have crochet hooks but don’t really know how to use them.  I told them I could show them how I crochet, but that I did not assert my methods officialness seeing as how I was taught by 7 and 8 year old Bolivian girls.  Mila, who is from Peru, is a beautiful cross-stitch emboiderer.  And, Elaine does ribbon-embroidery. 
Jane taught me the basic stitch and a pearl stitch so I did what is called a knit-pearl, which is the basis for most knit clothing.  Look really closely at the shirt you have on.  Well, first, if it’s not a knit, this won’t work.  But look at it.  Then, flip the fabric over.  See how the rows run differently on each side?  That’s because one side is stitched and the other is pearled.  Cool, right?!  After about an hour of stitching and pearling this was my product. 

I am going to have to keep practicing, but I think it’s a good start.
This past Saturday I went back.  I think they were surprised to see me again.  I’m still not sure why people are surprised when you show up to things they invite you to.  This week Elaine was there with all of her super cool ribbon-embroider tools.  She taught me to make flower petals, leaves, roses, and French knots (or Freedom knots if you prefer.)  This was my final product for the day. 

I think I could make something really pretty with the right material and ribbons.  And, some practice, maybe.
I guess the moral of this post is, Beware friends and family.  You will be receiving homemade gifts as I am able to complete them.

1 comment:

  1. Abby!

    Megan W. told me about your blog this morning in church and I'm so glad to have found it! I will add you to my blog roll so that I can keep up with all your Alaska adventures.

    Love this post on learning to knit. It speaks to your love for life and your love for adventure and people that you seized this opportunity and jumped right in. What a fun, fantastic person you are.

    Missing you in DYP but so glad that you are having this experience. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete