Monday, June 25, 2012

Fry'em In a Pan

I’m not really sure we I had to freeze the fish, because I was planning on cooking them the next day.  But, everyone told me to fill the bag with water and put them in the freezer.  Overnight, it froze into a big solid block of ice.  The fish were suspended in it like they were swimming through the water.  I put the whole bag in the fridge when I left for work Wednesday morning so it could thaw.  I was a little uncertain about leaving the bag in the middle of the refrigerator.  “What if it melts and leaks out into the fridge,” I thought, “That would be super smelly, and I do not want to deal with cleaning that up.”  Solution: I put the bag in one of the drawers in the bottom of the refrigerator.  So, if it did leak, I only had to clean out that bin and not the entire fridge. 
Why is the word “fridge” spelled with a “d” and the work refrigerator isn’t?  I know one is short for the other, but why not spell it “frig,” or if you want to change the letters, “frij.”  When people say “fridge” and “refrigerator,” the sounds are the same.  No one says “friDge.”
So, I was telling the other assistants at work about my fish and that I wanted to cook them.  One of them, Lauren, offered to come by after work and show me how to cut them.  I had a fish-filleting lesson from the deckhand on our deep-sea fishing trip last summer.  While Tyler, Louisa, and Mike kicked back on the boat, I learned a useful skill.  Normally, up here, they use a knife called an Ulu to cut fish, seal, and whale.  I do not have an ulu yet, but I will be purchasing one.  I will post a picture when I do so you can see what it looks like.  But Principal did not leave me an ulu in the kitchen so she did her best with the knives I had.  The fish were so skinny and the bones were so small and we did not have an all-powerful ulu.  So, filleting the fish was not extremely successful.  As a result, we filleted one and cooked the other two whole.
I seasoned them with the delicious seafood spice mix that I go when we were in Charleston last summer.  I just baked them in the oven for about 20 minutes, and they were perfect.  The one we filleted still had a few little bones in it.

And I decided that I preferred just eating it off the bones rather than wasting part of the good meat by filleting it.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment