Friday, April 22, 2011

Ants

I hate ants.  They are sneaky and scary.  When I was in 3rd grade, I was at a spend the night birthday party playing capture the flag.  I am much more stealthy than I seem, and pride myself on my capture the flag skills.  In order to infiltrate enemy territory unseen, I found it necessary to crawl on my belly across a ridge.  Not on my hands and knees, this would leave me exposed.  You have to sacrifice to be a winner.  As I was nearing cover I noticed something biting me.  I had crawled straight through a giant ant bed.  The stealth was lost.  I jumped up and ran inside to the shower.  Without taking my clothes off, I turned the water on full blast and shook around until they were all off of me.  I did not want to tell my friends parents, because I knew they would call my mom, and I might have to go home.  So my friend's big sister covered me in calamine lotion, and I continued to party all night long.  Since that day, ants have made me very nervous.  They are especially unnerving when they scatter or are found singly or in small groups.  A big group of ants in a line shows you where they are coming from, where they are going, and how many of them there are, so that you can target your attack against them.  If they scatter, you have no idea where they are going to end up, and if there are only a few of them you are always wondering when there will be more and how many friends they have.  It is scary, and I do not like them.  Just thinking about this makes me itchy.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking that I felt itchy as I was reading. Then you wrote it. Weird.

    ReplyDelete