Sunday, April 17, 2011

circle THE correct answer

We got a new teacher last week that is cute and fun and innovative with her teaching style.  She has forsaken scantrons in favor of hand grading multiple choice questions.  Clearly this concept was overwhelming to me, because confusion soon ensued.  I listen most of the time in class and attempt to catch the most pertinent information while disregarding things that may or may not be useful to me.  Completely unrelated to this, in another class meeting, a teacher told us that our dental boards are adding multiple choice questions where we can choose as many answer choices as we think are correct, and to get the answer right we have to pick all and only the correct answers.  Anyway, test day.  I'm sitting there circling answers praying that God will help me remember everything, when it dawned on me.  She said some of the questions will have multiple answers.  I haven't circled more than one on any of these so far!  "Uh, ok, this number 17 looks like both of the enzyme sounding things could be right.  I will circle the two I was torn between in the first place.  Good job Abby, I bet no one else remembers her saying this.  Oo, number 25 looks like both of these could be good, I will circle A and C."  I was chatting with some people post-test and asked which ones they chose two answers for hoping they would likewise say 17 & 25.  But all I got were funny stares and "What are you talking about?"  Then I knew I was in trouble.  They quickly reminded me that she in fact said nothing to this effect, and that I may possibly be confusing her with our 40 something year old Dean of Academics who did mention something similar to the idea I had apparently created in my head.  I wonder how she will grade both my answers...I'm guessing Wrong.  P.S.  At the very top of the test it did say, "Circle the correct answer."  I read that multiple times and just figured she had bad grammar.

1 comment: