Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I like your shoes, I like your shirt, I like your face

Compliments make me uncomfortable.  It is nice to be appreciated, and I like to know that people care about me.  But what do you say in return.  "Your shoes are so cool."  "Thanks they're my favorites."  I'm not big on giving compliments just because you get a compliment.  If I do not like the shirt you are wearing, I will not tell you I like it.  If I do like it, I will tell you.  Just because you tell me you like my shirt, I am not immediately obligated to like yours in return.  If I do like it, again I will tell you.  I do not tell people that there clothes are ugly, unless you are my mother or my boyfriend (sometimes they need guidance) or unless you specifically ask me what I think about it.  I just go by, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."  Also, sometimes when people give me a compliment about something I've done, like getting into school or making a cool cake, I want to acknowledge the fact that the Lord is my source and my strength, but it always sounds disingenuous.  "We are so proud of you for getting into UAB."  "Well, I work hard, but the Lord has really blessed me.  He is definitely the reason I am here."  "Oh I know you've done a great job."  I want to say, "Please, allow me to be humble and attempt to give God the glory for the amazing things he has done for me.  Do not keep complimenting me after I just told you it was not me who did it!"  Anyways, just know that if you compliment me, I am genuinely thankful even if my response is awkward, and that if I compliment you, I really mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment