Monday, April 18, 2011

Eggs in a Breadbasket

You are sitting at home, and you hear your stomach growl.  It is dinner time but what to have.  The cupboard is almost bare save for a loaf of bread, and you are tired of PB&J.  Nothing in the fridge except some orange juice and a couple of eggs left in the carton.  This is the perfect time to harken back to your childhood and those wonderful days when your mom would make breakfast for dinner.  Well, in my case I made breakfast for dinner, but it was made either way.  There is no better menu item in this scenario than Eggs in a Breadbasket.  Step 1: cut a circle out of the middle of a piece of bread & keep both pieces.  Step 2: put a little bit of butter on your hot skillet (even if it's non-stick, you can't have Eggs in a Breadbasket without a little bit of buttery goodness).  Step 3: place both pieces of your bread on the skillet.  Step 4: crack an egg in the center of the piece of bread with a whole in it.  Step 5: once the egg is cooked on one side flip the entire thing over to allow it to cook on the other side.  Step 6:  eat & enjoy.  The flavor is like buttered toast, meets eggs, meets french toast. You may want to eat it with a little salsa, jam, syrup, or apple butter.  When I make this I use my bread I make in my bread maker so I can cut it thick and put two eggs in the middle and cook them to just at medium, delicious.  Totally beats the Dean Road Elementary days of little smokies & pancakes.

2 comments:

  1. I've done this - I just didn't know it had a real name! Let's be honest though - nothing beats little smokies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I love eggs in a breadbasket. I have heard different names for them though: "eggs in a basket", "a hole in one", and more. They usually make me laugh, but they always taste good.

    ReplyDelete